Reinli Stave Church dates back to around 1326, but prior to this the site has been home to two other churches. The only remains left of the first church are graves, and the second must have burnt down or been demolished. Of the coins found under the church floor, the oldest are from King Håkonson`s reign, 1217-1263. An inscription on the wall in the portico by the southern entrance to the choir tells us who was behind the new build or reconstruction in 1326. "Here rests Sira Hord who made this a better church. Pater Noster." The inscription refers to a grave under the floor close by, and the grave is marked by small pieces of iron which together form a cross. This was when the church took its current shape. It is a parish church, but is only used during summer. For the rest of the year, the chapel further down the road is used. Reinli Stave Church still has 12 medieval consercration crosses. These have been painted black, and are believed to date back to around 1326. Reinli stave church is the only one in Norway with all 12 consercration crosses intact. The altarpiece is a medieval triptych, but it was paintet in the 1890s and 1920s. A crucifix hangs on the choir wall. Fittings in wrought iron, the soapstone font and a bell in the belfry are all from the Middle Ages. The wall features a hatch for the leprous, which was used to let them confess and receive Holy Communion.
Admission (incl. guiding):
Adults NOK 60,-
Children under 16 years NOK 40,-
Family NOK 150,-
Groups from 10 paying persons NOK 50,- per pers.
There are no student or senior discounts. Please note that we cannot accept Euros.